Re: Aliases in gnome

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 06:43 -0700, Tom Spec wrote:
> I have setup many aliases in my .bash_profile script on Fedora Core 5.
> For example:
>
> alias ltr="ls -latr"
>
> When I ssh to the box, all my aliases work fine, but when I log into
> gnome locally on the box then start a terminal (gnome-terminal), I
> don't get any aliases.
>
> Is there a way I can get those aliases to work in gnome also?

When you ssh to the box you are opening a login shell, so .bash_profile
is used.
When you open a terminal from gnome you are not using a login shell,
so .bashrc is used and .bash_profile is not used.
To have it work in both circumstances simply copy the aliases
from .bash_profile to .bashrc.  Or you can change the term properties in
gnome as others have said to make it a login shell by default.

The man page for bash explains when each file is processed and will help
you understand why the differences.