Re: Aliases in gnome

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 9:39 AM -0500 6/1/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> As others have stated, you can move then aliases to ~/.bashrc or you
>> can change gnome-terminal to come up as a login shell, and it will
>> process .bash_profile. This option is under "Title and Command" and
>> is called "Run command as login shell". If you want an explanation
>> of when .bashrc and .bash_profile are used, you can read the Bash
>> man page. The differences between a login shell and a sub-shell are
>> worth knowing about.
>
> What I would like to understand is, what issues there are with being a
> "login shell", since it isn't the default?  I've been find so far with my
> gnome-terminals not being login shells; I see that the virtual consoles are
> login shells, and it seems to be OK to be logged in more than once.

For a fairly complete explanation, run "man bash" and look for the
"INVOCATION" section. You should not run into any problems by using
a login shell. There is slightly more overhead for the system when
launching a login shell, but not enough to matter. It is possible to
have things set up in ~/.bash_profile that cause problems when run
in an gnome-term, but the default setup will not be a problem.
(There some interesting things you can set up for use with a serial
terminal, among other things...) I believe that the login option is
not the default in order to conform with the default xterm usage.
That way, it does not break custom configurations people have added.
The option to change it is there for people like you that want the
terminal in X to act the same as the CLI login.

Mikkel