Re: Aliases in gnome

Tom Spec:
>> When I ssh to the box, all my aliases work fine, but when I log into
>> gnome locally on the box then start a terminal (gnome-terminal), I
>> don't get any aliases.

Paul Howarth:
> You could try putting the alias definitions in ~/.bashrc rather than
> ~/.bash_profile.

I had tried a similar thing (see below), but it didn't work as I
expected it to:

$ cat .bashrc
# .bashrc
# User specific aliases and functions
alias ll='ls -l --time-style=long-iso'
# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
        . /etc/bashrc
fi

"ll" does what I want from a text-only console, but not within a
gnome-terminal inside Gnome.  The reason it didn't work should have been
obvious to me, but I just didn't see it:  It seems to tell you that you
should put user specific aliases and functions right after where the
comment is, but you need to put them after the bit that refers to
the /etc/bashrc file (after the "fi") if you're trying to override
something already set elsewhere.  What's still not obvious is why the
above worked outside of Gnome.

I read messages from the public lists.