RE: Break a mirrored drive on Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:03 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Break a mirrored drive on Linux

>  Breaking a mirrored drive
> Is there a way in Linux to break a mirror, and then use the drive that

> was broken for some new partition (example: /home). FC3 and FC4. I am
> running out of space and I am finding the RAID 1 is no longer desired.

> You can use 'mdadm --fail ...', then 'mdadm --remove ...' to take it
out of the raid which will continue working fine
> with only a single member.  Be sure to change the partition type when
you re-use it so the system won't try to auto-

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

Ok all which you said worked out great, I rebooted and all went well.
Then I said to myself (I will mount the drive and delete files on it
then add it back to see how well the regeneration works. After I deleted
most of the files on the disk, I did a "umount /mountpartition" (without
the quotes) and the server locked up. I hard  booted the server and it
came back to a grub prompt. Can you tell me why and possible how to fix
it?

mB.