Re: Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Tim wrote:

I find the Linux way of doing it a right pain in the bum.

There's no "linux way". X offers you the flexibility to use multiple clipboards, but doesn't force you to use any one, particularly not one that's a pain.

First
-----
Linux:  I have some document with a word I'd like to replace.  I *have*
to delete the word, find and highlight its new replacement, paste it
into the document.

Windows:  Highlight the word to be replaced, and paste the new word over
the top of it.

Yeah, you can do that in X, too. Use the clipboard (ctrl+c or "copy" menu item) instead of the primary selection. If you behave like you're using Windows, you'll get the results that you want.

Second:
Linux:  I've highlighted some details from an e-mail that I want to put
into the email configuration.  I open up the configuration, and the
first editable data in it is already highlighted by the application.
It's now in the copy buffer, and I can't paste what *I* had previously
copied.

If that's true, it's a bug in the application. The primary selection is only supposed to be replaced if the user selects something. If you open a window and something is automatically highlighted, it does not also magically replace the primary selection.

Since I don't know of any application that does that, I'll note that if, in Firefox, you press "Ctrl+l", the location bar's contents are highlighted, but the primary selection is not replaced. If you try to paste the primary selection, you'll get whatever was selected before you pressed "Ctrl+l".

Even if the application that you're using *is* buggy, you should still be able to copy text to the clipboard (rather than the primary selection) before you open the configuration, and paste the text.