dell d820 volume keys

For what it is worth,  I tried the ubuntu live cd and noticed that the
volume special keys on my d820 worked.  They do not work under FC5.
Further investigation shows that FC5 does not have them enabled in
gnome.

To enable them + others, go

System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts

and highlight under the Sound area, the "Volume mute" and press the mute
key.  Do the same for "Volume up" &  "Volume down" with the respective
volume up/down keys.

QUESTION:

Are those defaults based on hardware discovery or just someones idea of
a default?

--
Brian Millett - [ Sinclair and Garibaldi, "Survivors"]
"How you feeling?"