Re: [OT] routing

hicham wrote:
> Hello
> I have some basic questions on some network and routing issue
>
> I need to setup two pc 's A and B acting  as  gateways
> ( running on Fedora )
> assigned ip adress 10.3.5.223 for pc A  and 10.3.4.225 for pc B
> connected to a private lan network 10.3.0.0
> now the subnet for the gateway A is a network 10.10.1.0 / 24 , gateway
> A in this subnet got ip address 10.10.1.1
> and subnet for gateway B is a network 10.20.1.0/24, gateway B ip
> address is 10.20.1.1
I'm assuming pc B is supposed to be in network B?  You aren't very clear
and you picked horrible network numbers.  From what I can see, neither
of the PC's is actually in either of your networks.  With a netmask of
/24, all pcs in network A would need addresses that start with 10.10.1
and network B would need 10.20.1.  Plus, gateways for any subnet need to
be in the same subnet of the PC's they are routing for.

> now I need to get a pc in subnet 10.10.1.0 / 24, communicate with a pc
> in subnet 10.20.1.0/24, How do I achieve that ? thru a routing table
> right ?
Without a router with an interface (physical or virtual) on each
network, two devices can't talk to each other.  That's the bottom line.
You can only talk directly to a device on your own network, if a device
is not on your network, then you have to talk to a gateway (router) that
is on your own network.

> what do I need to fill in my route table in system-config-network ?
So, if you have two PCs that are on the same ethernet segment, but with
different IP networks, then you either have to have a router on that
ethernet segment, or plumb multiple IP addresses on each PC so they are
on the same networks.

Hopefully that makes sense.  If you need more help, just send more
information.