Re: FC5 on AMD Turion 64?

On Monday 29 May 2006 22:27, Vini Engel wrote:
> > The biggest issues with laptops in my experience are power management and
> > wireless support. Graphics, disks and so on have never given me an issue.
>
> I agree on the power management side but not the wireless. Perhaps I
> would have to work more to get the wireless working but that is not a
> problem. I have a Sony VAIO and it seems that the power management works
> as fine on Linux. I will do some testing...
Some wireless cards (especially ipw2x00) are no issue at all... ipw3950 and
some others unfortunately have no support in the current distros by default
(which is an issue for many).

> Is you Athlon64 faster than a P4 or not really?
Yes - by a long way. Especially on laptops since no P4 laptops seem to have
good support for dual channel.

> > Now I'm running a few different Core Duo ones (Dell E1705 and similar).
> > Works flawless there.
>
> How fast is this Duo?
They rock. 2Ghz model here beats my desktop athlon64 x4600+ in most things I
do... I love my AMD boxes - but for laptops AMD right now has nothing
competitive. Especially if you figure in the power management issues I
mentioned above.

> I will check the web site out. The reason which I am looking at HPQ is
> pricing. They have the screen I want and their price is reasonable good
> specially on Turion CPUs.
I've never had an issue finding i.e. a dell for cheaper than a comparable HPQ.
Unfortunately its not just the cost of the laptop. Out of about 15 hpq laptops
we had to send at least 10 in with defective wireless cards... No issue for
us since we have a support contract - but if you have only 1 year warrenty
(and virtually all of them failed almost exactly 1 year after we got them)
then you'll have to buy a $150 wireless card than just a random one you can
get new for other models because of the bios pci table whitelist. On ebay its
cheaper but you still usually pay double.
Also, on most dells and toshibas you can as a mere mortal replace the display
latch. The kits are reasonable and instructions are available if you know
where to look. The HPQs I had all had the latches integrated so badly into
the case or lid that you have to replace some large plastic pieces to get it
in. One even had it glued in with the same piece of glue holding the plastic
case that contained the hook as well as holding the lcd in place. Who ever
glues an lcd in place???

Peter.