Re: New to linux

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 11:16 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> The bugs in FC5 involve specific hardware so I'd recommend the
>> opposite approach.  Start with FC5 and use FC4 only as plan B
>> in the unlikely event that you have problems on your hardware.
>> FC5 has newer versions of applications and will be supported
>> longer. In either case, do a 'yum update' immediately after
>> the install and frequently afterwords to stay up to date.
> ----
> not only would I agree with Les, I just installed FC-5 on Saturday and
> I'm very impressed.

I agree - I did a new install of FC5 on a Toshiba laptop, and the
only problems I had were some unsupported hardware. The system
booted fine after install, and the graphics worked, but I had to do
some tweaking to get it to perform the way I wanted. Updates sense I
did the install take care of the video, and I know where to download
pre-compiled drivers for the wireless card. There are a few things I
still need to tweak, but I would have that in any case, regardless
of the Linux distribution I installed.

Mikkel