Re: New to linux

--- Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> K Chauhan:
> > I have just bought a second hand Linux box . It had Fedora 2.6.9-1.667
> > on it.
> >
> > When I signed into it, it said that there were updates waiting to be
> > loaded. I then proceeded to load the update to Fedora
> > 2.6.12-1.1381_fc3
> >
> > Now I cannot get to the WEB or mail !!!, but if I went back to the
> > previous version it all seems ok
> >
> > What do I need to do correct the latest update.?
>
> Well, FC3 was end-of-lifed a while ago.  If you want to keep on using
> it, you'd have to get your updates from the legacy repos.  I'm sure the
> fedorafaq.org website must have something about how to do that.
>
> > Is it better to install a complete version of Fedora 5 ( any
> > recommendation ? ) ( i.e. the pc has got a DVD rewriter � I am not
> > sure about conversion from ISO using cdwriter � any advice ? )
>
> Since you said you're new to this, I'd try FC4 (as a clean install, not
> trying to update FC3 to FC4).  It's been out long enough for many bugs
> to have been resolved, and is still being kept up to date.
>
> FC5 is new, has one or two quite painful bugs, and is probably best
> tackled by someone familiar with installing Fedora against a few
> hurdles, or doesn't mind a challenge straight away.

I am sure Tim's advice is well founded and I am a relative newby to Fedora but
I would disagree with this advice. I have been using FC4 since November on a
laptop (this was my first experience with Linux desktops) and recently bought a
new computer on which I installed FC5 from the start. After seeing FC5 I could
barely wait to upgrade my Laptop and did that 2 days later.

If the original poster is new, I would advise him to install FC5 immediately,
if he installs FC4 he will have to do an upgrade to FC5 later, when support of
FC4 stops or switch to using legacy repos and this is more work for him while
he is not likely to really suffer from any problems with FC5. I am certainly
not suffering but enjoying FC5.

Besides FC5 installed out-of-the-box on my new computer, while upgrading the
laptop from FC4 to FC5 gave a few minor issues when I ran yum update for the
first time.

Otto

Homepage, Travels, Estonia Photos - http://www.7is7.com/otto/
Website traffic analysis          - http://www.stateye.com/