Re: High Speed Internet & FC5

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 09:38 -0400, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> Then, run adsl-setup at terminal and follow the prompts.  Rather easy.
>> It will ask you for your username and password and the DNS servers,
>> which network device (probably eth0 or eth1).
>> Then, to connect you will run ifup ppp0, to disconnect ifdown ppp0
>> to check status ifstatus ppp0.
>
> That would be for a simple ADSL modem without a built-in router, right?
>
> I didn't have to do anything like that for my ADSL (which is through a
> modem/router).  I just set the router IP address as my default gateway,
> and that was it (I run my own DNS servers).  If my ethernet card was
> configured by a DHCP server, I wouldn't have even had to set the
> gateway, the router would have done that all for me.

The SpeedStream 5100 modem SBC Global supplied lets me set up the
modem to do the PPPoE, so all you need is a standard DHCP configured
Ethernet connection. I have a Netgear wireless router on it now, but
I could connect direct. The thing I like about the Netgear router is
that I can assign fixed IP addresses to some machines based on their
MAC address. This may not be a big deal for most people, but it is
something I find handy...

Mikkel