Re: Does Fedora mess up the clock for Windows?

On Saturday 27 May 2006 02:23, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a dual boot system with FC5 and Windows XP. On FC5 I run ntpd with
> the default config files. The drift file varies widely, from -0.4 or so to
> as much as -60 or 100 or more. Generally the longer Fedora is up the
> smaller the number, though it's always negative.
>
> But Windows is losing time hand over fist, maybe a couple minutes or more
> in a 3-hour Windows session. I use an old program (AtomTime95) to correct
> the Windows clock periodically but it doesn't do any permanent good.
>
> I had the same kind of thing happen with Fedora 4. It went away when I
> installed Fedora 5 until I activated ntpd.
>
> According to /var/log/messages Fedora has to set the clock back about a
> second or so every time I boot it, but nowhere near the gargantuan
> misalignment of Windows.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to make these two guys live happily together
> sharing the clock? Yes, Fedora does use local time - at least, that's the
> way I installed it..
>
> Thanks much,
>
> --
> Lee Maschmeyer
> <lee_maschmeyer@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> "Be kind to your fur-bearing friends,
> For a skunk may be somebody's brother."
>      --Fred Allen
Hi Guys
	This sounds like the PC Hardware clock interrupt clock is running a little
slow, that is the clock which drives the timer interrupt line. A way to check
is to boot into BIOS, record the time both wall clock and BIOS clock and then
leave the system on , still in BIOS , for a couple of hours and then check.

	Windows XP only checks the time with a (S)NTP server at a predetermined time
of day, this is by default. However the Windows Time Service (read sntp) can
be configured to operate like a normal (s)NTP client. You will have to google
Microsoft for that information as I no longer have it at hand.

	When the Windows Time Service is configured to operate like NTP the time
difference problems between the two OSes should be resolved.