Re: Problems with nvidia driver from Livna 8762

On 5/27/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Samstag, den 27.05.2006, 12:58 -0500 schrieb Jonathan Berry:
> On 5/27/06, Dan <grinnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Could the old kernel module still be loaded after doing an
> "init 3"?

Yes, probably.

Okay, it's making sense now.  So the issue is not rebooting, but
removing the old kernel module, which, though gone from the disk, is
still loaded in memory.

>   I didn't think to check that.  I don't recall ever having
> this kind of problem before when just using the nVidia shell script
> installer.

The script installer forces you to enter runlevel 3. It can unload the
module from there. The rpm often will be installed while X is running --
it can remove the old module at that point.

Point taken.  That makes sense.

Thinking about it: We could provie a script for /etc/profile.d that
could unload the module during the next X (re)start. That would be a
real hack, but probably the only solution for this problem.

Yeah, that is rather hack-ish.  Could the script run and then remove
itself so that it only fires off once when the module is first
installed?

Another thought, what would happen if you put in a post-install script
in the RPM to rmmod nvidia?  Could you do something such that if
(when) it fails, it prints out an error message telling you to rmmod
nvidia when you restarted X?  Or would that command failing cause
problems with the RPM install?

Jonathan