Re: Lock Screen as root

Stephen Mirowski wrote:

While an X session is generated by a startx, a user can issue a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill the X session, giving access to that account's cmd-line. This can also be done when the screen is locked. If the machine is running init 5 and it is the default X session, this only restarts the X session and doesn't give cmd-line access.

Although I prefer init 3, I have been running 5 to get around this. I might research the possibility of deactivating Ctrl+Alt+Backspace while having the screen locked. But still, a more savvy badguy/girl will know about either method of getting access. =(

If you run "exec startx" instead of just "startx", then killing the
X session just drops back to a "login:" prompt.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.