Re: Two NICs, Two gateways

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 21:24 -0400, redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a FC5 machine running apache at work which I set up as an nfs
> server to share files in our office. Unfortunately, our IT guys
> blocked everything except apache ports and therefore I can't run nfs
> since the traffic doesn't reach that linux box. We have two gateways
> at work,  one 10.0.0.200 for the IT department and apache, and the
> other 10.0.0.201 for the rest of the users. I installed a second card
> into this machine to serve NFS shares with a different IP and the
> gateway for the users. Unfortunately, even though I configured both
> cards with one different gateway each, the last NIC to load at boot
> sets the gateway for both cards and it either allows http traffic or
> nfs traffic, depending on the gateway that gets set.
> Can someone show me how I can get each card to access different
> gateways?
> Thanks,
> EJ

Gateways are not the right thing, only one default gateway is allowed.
-
It also sounds like you have 2 NICs in the same 10.0.0.X network.  This
is NOT a stable and reliable configuration.

You can have multiple IPs on a single NIC in a single network using
aliases, but not on multiple NICs in the same network.