Re: DVD playing on Linux

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Todd Zullinger wrote:
I agree with you. I got all that codex stuff and put it in /usr/lib/win98/ and that was supposed to work.
Is that a typo?  The dir should be /usr/lib/win32.  I don't know that
you need those codecs to play encrypted DVD's, but I always have them
around to play other videos anyway.
   Yes the stuff is in /usr/lib/win32/ and it's all executable.

The win32 codecs are not required in order to play a dvd. wind32 codecs
are required to play proprietary formats that have a native windows
library available.

clearvideo, atrac3, some quicktime, vss, and wmv etc...

It doesn't on FC4
It does for me.  I've watched commercial DVD's on my laptop with FC4.
I haven't tried with FC5 yet as I haven't had any desire to yet.
Scratch that, I just did it and it works in FC5 as well.  I have
totem-xine installed from livna as well as libdvdcss, libdvdread, and

libdvdnav.

I KNOW it's the stuff they put in the DVD to make it hard to copy
that is causing the problem because I have a DVD that is a policical
add MPlayer plays that just fine.
It's not really even there to make it hard to copy.  It's there to
make it easier for the movie studios to apply geographic restrictions
that should be going away in a networked world.  But the dinosaurs
never get that.  See the quotes from Jack Valenti on how the VCR would
be the end of the movie industry.

   It seems that no-one knows how to get around this problem.
Many do and are working around it right now. :)

The proper solution would be to remove the legal restrictions that
lead to this situation.  Of course, laws and politicians are easily
bought by movie studios (among others) so solving this problem likely
won't happen anytime soon, unfortunately.  Until then, I simply ignore
laws that infringe upon my rights.  YMMV.