Samba install problem

Hi Everyone,

I have just installed FC5 to replace RH9 and am encountering loads of problems in getting it set up as my old RH9 system was.

I use it mainly as a web server using PHP and Mysql, I had it networked to my XP machine using samba and had it set up as a dhcp server.  I want to run my internet connection through it as well for when I expand my network at a later date.

Ok, I have installed FC5 and set up my second drive which contains all my work as '/home'.  I have also installed dhcp and got that working ok but thats where my problems start.

Although dhcp is allocating ip addresses ok I can not access the server using its name 'linux'.  I assume this is due to samba not running.

I need to install samba as the system says it is not installed when I use 'rpm -q smb', so I downloaded 'samba-common-3.0.22.1.fc5.rpm'.  When I go to install it with 'rpm -ivh samba-common-3.0.22.1.fc5.rpm I get loads of confiction errors.
I have also tried to use the 'Add / Remove software' and 'Software Updater' from the 'Applications' menu and get an 'Unable to retrive software infomation' error.
When I try to use yum with the command 'yum install samba-common-3.0.22.1.fc5.rpm' I get an 'Error: Cannot find a baseurl for repo: core'.
Why am I unable to install samba?

Many thanks,
Garry.