Re: Trouble starting postgresql

Alan M. Evans wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 12:05, Andreas Roth wrote:
i had the same problem on my FC4 system. The problem is caused by SELinux. You can just disable SELinux on the whole system or disable SELinux for postgresql. The proper way would be to set the correct security contexts to the /home/pgsql directory (using ls -Z and chcon). I haven't tried this, but AFAIK it should work.

Thanks. Disabling SELinux for postgresql allowed service startup.

I hope you used permissive mode rather than fully disabling SELinux. Otherwise, you'll be in for a long wait whilst your whole system is relabelled if you re-enabled SELinux.

Although I feel a bit creepy about disabling security in order to get
something working. Kind of like leaving one particular door unlocked so
the janitor can get in...

Yes, I agree.

I jacked around with the file security contexts with no luck. I hold
onto the hope that this can be made to work: SELinux and postgresql
living in harmony. Does anyone have a pointer to a crash course in
configuring SELinux security contexts?

Compare the file contexts of the default location for the files with the file contexts you have in your new location.

$ ls -lZa /home/pgsql

Repeat for the default locations of everything you moved. Post the output you get.

An alternative approach that often works is to bind mount the directory you want to use for your database/webserver/whatever to the default location and then use restorecon to fix the contexts.

Paul.