Fixing fstab and grub.conf

       Here is my /etc/fstab file after I have added the line that let's
any user mount /dev/hdb5 to /fc5. This works fine. Also I got rid of the
Stupid LIST= things that mess up fstab. Here it is:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/hdb7               /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb5               /fc5                    ext3    noauto,user     0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

       This is my fstab after I plugged in my external hard drive to the
usb port.

/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb5               /fc5                    ext3    noauto,user     0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          ext3
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0

Notice the last entry in fstab This whole thing was added to the file by
fstab-sync which is part of the automatic system.

       Now to keep things in synch I have been changing
/boot/grub/grub.conf along with the fstab files So this is what it looks
like:

title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2108_FC4)
       root (hd1,6)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2108_FC4 ro root=/dev/hdb7 rhgb quiet
       initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16-1.2108_FC4.img

title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
       root (hd1,4)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=/dev/hdb5 rhgb quiet
       initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
       root (hd1,1)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/hdb2 rhgb quiet
       initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
       root (hd1,0)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=/dev/hdb1 rhgb quiet
       initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img

title Other
       rootnoverify (hd0,0)
       chainloader +1

       As you see all the Anaconda LIST= are deleted.

Here is what fstab for FC5 looks like after a simple install with no
problems of any sort.

[karl@k5di fc5]$ cat etc/fstab
LABEL=/1234             /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\uffff\
swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=+\uffffQ\uffff\uffff@\uffff{\u03c1   swap                    swap
defaults        0 0
[karl@k5di fc5]$

Notice the botched up swap files?

       I will fix the FC5 fstab too. It is simpler than the FC4 file. And
notice it doesn't say it's using fstab-synch but I bet it is.

/dev/hdb5               /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

       And above is the corrected fstab for FC5. It takes just a few
minutes and it makes me happy to see these files that are basic to a Linux
system written properly.

Karl