Re: which is batter ext3, reiserfs or XFS

Ankur Saxena wrote:
Dear ALL,

I got the FC5 DVD and i tried to do a fresh install on my laptop with reiserfs after the installation when I rebooted

The system after booting the kernel when its trying to start services, for each thing it shown me “Unable to open

shared object libc.so” than I booted again from dvd in rescue mode and do the chroot to my installation but I was not

able o find libc.so in /usr/lib or in /usr/local/lib, than i repeat the installation 2 time but same thin with reiserfs than I installed

FC5 with ext3 and worked fine for me.

Does any body else faced this problem with reiserfs? what is the issue? I have faced strange issues with FC4 also (with reiserfs)

Why fedora does support reiserfs properly?

Except for the /boot partition, reiserfs should work properly with selinux=0 added to the bootloader. Reiserfs 4 is supposed to be able to handle SELinux, reiserfs current has no way to store selinux file content.

The issue requiring an ext3 /boot partition is related to grub capabilities.

XFS, I have not tried. I believe an ext3 /boot partition is best for this filesystem choice. I do not know if SELinux content can be stored in XFS efficiently.

Jim

Another question, which is the best file system i.e. secure, fast and reliable, ext3, reiserfs or Xfs?

Thanks.

Regards,

Ankur Saxena.

--
Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing.
		-- Roy L. Ash, ex-president, Litton Industries