Re: Fedora 5 works perfectly, except usb modem

--- Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 23:38 +0100, William d'Ormond
> wrote:
> >
> > Point of e-mail: How do you get fedora 5 to detect
> and install a USB
> > dial-up modem (DC-009 V2 Sitecom)?
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm not really a linux newbie... but please treat
> me as one.
> > A long time ago I installed Fedora 3 and had a
> lovely time with it.
> > But then my laptop's internal winmodem broke (I
> had spent considerable
> > effort getting it to run with smartlink linmodem
> drivers (slmodem
> > 2.7.9 or something like that)).
> >
> > I then went and bought a USB modem. This I thought
> would cure all
> > problems associated with linux compatibility. It
> works under Windows,
> > obviously, however, I have now moved completely on
> to Fedora 5 and
> > deleted the windows partition.
> > Fedora 5 does not detect anything when the USB
> modem is plugged in...
> > in fact it only detects the broken internal modem
> which I cannot use.
> > This is strange as the modem lights on the USB
> modem turn on when I
> > plug it into a USB port.
> >
> > I now have absolutely NO IDEA how to start getting
> this stupid USB
> > modem to work under linux. Smartlink has given up
> linux support it
> > seems, and has switched to connexant (linuxant.com
> ). Actually I can't
> > find the chipset of this modem under google
> anywhere, and can't detect
> > it at all in linux, so I'm not even sure it's a
> Connexant chipset. I
> > am presuming it is an HCF modem type?????
> >
> > Can someone please help me out, because I won't be
> able to access
> > internet at home if I can't dial up a connection
> on my phone line.
> >

> AFAIK there are still problems using USB modems with
> Linux.
> Try www.linmodems.org and see if the people there
> can help.  I believe
> they write most of the drivers for the various
> winmodems that are now
> being used in Linux.
>

> --

Jeff,
  This is the way to go.  William, please download
scanModem, from here

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

copy it to linux partition and become superuser
$ su -
password: *****

# gunzip scanModem.gz
# chmod +x scanModem
# ./scanModem

post to this list if you can't subscribe to
discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and I can relay your message to
the list.  If the slmodemd-2.9.X drivers worked for
you before I do not see why not, the
slmodem-2.9.11-20051101.tar.gz from smartlink
directory in linmodems will not do the job for you.

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmodem-2.9.11-20051101.tar.gz

If these are the drivers, be aware that you will need
to apply some patches for it to work with Fedora Core
5, namely, I will refer you to

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-sixth/msg01401.html

where doing as the instructions for each file will
work for Fedora Core 5.

Regards,

Antonio