Re: Warning light on Fedora System

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 13:42, WGregory wrote:
> Thanks to the list, I am now able to play an audio sound and recording
> from my Fedora 5 box to warn out our night crew of a problem (play
> [filename].wav/ogg).  I also would like to connect a warning light or
> strobe to the system to provide visual warning.  In addition to lan,  I
> have serial and usb ports available on my system.
>
> Does anyone know of such a product?  And how to trigger it to alert from
> Fedora?  Needless to say, also need way to turn if off from the Fedora.

There are devices that can work as relays off your serial or
parallel ports, but for something even more general you might
like some X10 switches and a controller operated by the
computer.  There are an assortment of links here:
http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialX10SmartHomeNetworking.html

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx