Re: OT: Sun Embraces Linux with New Java License

--- Peter Gordon <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > The article below shows that Sun will license java

> > How will it affect the java issue within Fedora?
> >
> > The license has to be looked at carefully?
> >

> >From what I can see, it's still a binary-only
> packaging, which
> means that it is no Free and Fedora will *not* be
> able to
> distribute it with the rest of the distribution.
>
> That said, however, it may make it eaasier for
> maintainers from
> repositories such as Livna and JPackage (both highly
> unofficial,
> as far as I know) to package it in an
> easier-to-install format
> (instead of having the user grab the sources,
> install the libraries,
> run the alternatives stuff manually, etc.)
>
> --
> Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
> This message was sent through a webmail
>     interface, and thus not signed.
>
> --

True.  Anyhow a followup to the story is that Red
Hat/Fedora is not too happy with the new license.
They would prefer that it be open source Java.  I
believe many people will agree with their stance.

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/05/18/red_hat_sun_java_license/

Regards,

Antonio