Re: Q re networking, might need guru

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 10:33, Gene Heskett wrote:
You have something even worse wrong. I see ethereal in the internet menu in a KDE session and it also works fine started
from the command line in a Konsole window.  There is nothing about
kde that breaks gtk/gnome apps.
I did not see befor or after installing etherape, and etherape was the first tarball I'd built. Everything else except skype is an rpm. And I built it to get a network monitor of SOME kind. There is not, and never has been, an ethereal available in any kde menu. What tree did yours show up in?

It's under 'Internet'.

I'm looking in the yumex info for the installed ethereal, and the info there does not show an executable binary as being part of that package:
/etc/pam.d/ethereal
/etc/security/console.apps/ethereal
/usr/lib/ethereal
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0/acn.so
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/agentx.so
/usr/sbin/artnet.so
/usr/share/doc/asn1.so
/usr/share/doc/ethereal-0.99.0/ciscosm.so
/usr/share/doc/ethereal-0.99.0/doc/coseventcomm.so
/usr/share/cosnaming.so
/usr/share/ethereal/docsis.so
/usr/share/ethereal/diameter/enttec.so
/usr/share/ethereal/dtds/gryphon.so
/usr/share/ethereal/help/h223.so
/usr/share/ethereal/radius/irda.so
/usr/share/man/man1/lwres.so
/usr/share/man/man4/mate.so

I do not see an excutable binary in that list, hence my comment about the packaging of it. Does yours show one?

The piece you want is in ethereal-gnome:

# rpm -q --list ethereal-gnome
/usr/bin/ethereal
/usr/sbin/ethereal
/usr/share/applications/net-ethereal.desktop
/usr/share/man/man1/ethereal.1.gz
/usr/share/pixmaps/ethereal.png

Thats the one I installed, but didn't seem to want to work. The main display window was still a blank after 10 minutes worth of browseing and two email fetch runs by tbird.

--
Cheers, Gene