Re: How do I get my disk powered down gracefully on my desktop during system shutdown

If you boot in runlevel 5, you go into X automatically, and on the menu under
"System" there is an option of "Shutdown" that gives you a dialogue with
buttons to Suspend, Restart, Cancel, or Shutdown.

If you boot in runlevel 3 and go into X by entering "startx" at the command
prompt, you go into X and get almost the same menu, except the option to
"Shutdown" under the System dropdown isn't there.  You only get the Logout
option (which is there is both cases).  In that case if you want to shutdown,
you have to enter a command to do it.

Now that I know "poweroff -h" will gracefully shutdown the drive, how do I get
the "Shutdown" option onto the menu and get in (if necessary) to change the
command for that menu item to "poweroff -h".

In short, how do you fully edit menus in FC5. (I mean get into the XML and make
it happen.)  Where are the menu definitions squirreled away?

Stan Klein

Quoting Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 22:53 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:23 -0400, Aaron Konstam
<akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ----------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:26:17 -0500
> From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: How do I get my disk powered down gracefully on my
> 	desktop	during  system shutdown
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 17:18 -0500, sklein@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Under FC5 the shutdown process now gracefully powers down my laptop disk
> > as the last step during shutdown of the laptop.  However, this is not
> > happening with my desktop, where the disk does not gracefully power down
> > during shutdown.  How do I get the desktop disk to gracefully power down
> > as its last shutdown step?
> >

> > Stan Klein
> I am not sure what you mean. On the desktop exactly what happens when you shutdown?
> Does it power down? What does gracefully power down mean?
> >
> > --
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gracefully is what the -h option of poweroff appears to do.  It shuts
down the drive before shutting down all power.  Right now, a shutdown
kills all power, and I can hear the drive spin down after the power goes
off.  On my dual-boot laptop, until FC5, I had to reboot into Windows to
get a graceful shutdown.
Acording to the man page -h causes what you want to do in run level 3
and 5. I don't know why it doesnot work for you.

Now the question is how to edit the menu to get the dialogue when I do a
non-graphical (run level 3) boot and bring up X by entering startx,
versus doing a run level 5 boot directly into X.  It turns out the menus
you get are different and I need to fix it.
In FC5 if you type ctl-alt-delete while in gui mode you get the old
logout window that allows you to save the session.
Also system->preferneces-> othe preferences->session will allow you to
od that.

I needed to set up the non-graphical boot because my laptop has an
Nvidia display and they recommend changing the boot to run level 3.

Stan Klein
I don't know who they are and I have not done this in FC5 up through FC4 you could into run level 5 with nvidia drivers.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>