AutoFS Problems with Laptops

Hi!

This is probably very easy but I can neither figure it out or use
Google.. Anyway, this is what I want to achieve:

Our local network (10.0.0.0) server exports /home and /work directories
and desktop workstations with static IPs can mount them all ok over
NFS. I have a laptop that is using DHCP and autofs. In our local
network autofs mounts work all ok with the config below.

However, when I go out to a different network where those directories
are not available, I would like autofs to figure that out and not to
try mount them and cause jams. What should the script output if those
mounts are available?

I am asking this because I've tried almost everything and I am just
getting bizarre results like directory /var/autofs/(null)/home,
/var/autofs/hithere/work, etc. I want to mount available mounts under
/var/autofs so that they would be /var/autofs/home and /var/autofs/work
but that seems not to work.

The autofs configuration that works perfectly in our local network is
the following.

/etc/auto.master:

/var/autofs /etc/auto.local --timeout=30,--ghost

And /etc/auto.local:

home -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr 10.0.0.1:/home
work -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr 10.0.0.1:/work

But, as said, if I turn auto.local as an executable script that outputs
lines like those I just get those silly results with mounts.

Thanks,

Dan.