Re: what is smartd? It fails on bootup.

On 5/17/06, Dennis Castanos <dennismouille@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can anyone tell me what smartd does or why the startup error? Can I remove the check in the services?  It's description reads "dead but subsys locked".
thanks,
Dennis, new linux user

Hi Dennis!

From the man page:

smartd  is  a  daemon  that  monitors the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
       Reporting Technology (SMART) system built into  many  ATA-3  and  later
       ATA, IDE and SCSI-3 hard drives. The purpose of SMART is to monitor the
       reliability of the hard drive and predict drive failures, and to  carry
       out  different  types  of  drive self-tests.  This version of smartd is
       compatible with  ATA/ATAPI-7  and  earlier  standards.

A place on the web for a man page if none is available by a working linux (google is our friend!):

http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/smartd8.html

If I had a new drive I would be tempted to try it.  But I have simply answered your question.

You can remove it but it may be telling you something you need to know.

Good hunting!

Tod