Re: Limits to what can be done without source

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 16:48, Andy Green wrote:

> > That part is all politics since nVidia permits redistribution
> > of their binaries and it is fedora's choice not to do so.
>
> Yes as it stands Fedora bans such nonfree confections.  I guess one can
> imagine nobody got involved with FOSS to increase the reliance of the
> world on nVidia's binary blobs except maybe nVidia people themselves.

Another overgeneralization, I think.  There are probably people
involved in FOSS who are not fanatics and would be happy if
it worked together with code under different licenses.  Here is
an interesting variation on the concept:
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ_for_the_Partner_Linux_Driver_Process
But it's too bad that it's limited to one distribution and will split
the providers' efforts.

> We don't seem to be disagreeing about much.

Only about binaries being a problem by nature. There are plenty
of examples to the contrary.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx