FC5 Extended desktop display problem

Hello all,

I'm trying to make it so that I can extend my laptops desktop onto an
external monitor or at the worse, get my laptop to display its current
desktop onto my monitor but I don't seem to be having any luck.

When I change my settings and tell it what monitor I am using (Dell 24")
I hit the submit button and then restart the x server by logging out and
logging in but once I log out everything goes black.  I get lots of
messages that tell me that the x server could not start and if I want to
take a look at the xorg.conf settings to try and debug.

So when I tried this I was using my dell 700m and connecting to a dell 2405FPW
(24")monitor

When I set the dual head settings for that particular monitor and then restarted
the x-server I got the following error:

Failed to start Xserver (your graphical interface).  Its likely not set up
properly would you like to view the server output to diagnose the problem?

Server Output:
<--Bunch of system information-->
(EE)1810(0): You must have a monitor layout defined for use in dual head....
(EE)1810(1): Failed to setup second head do to primary head failure
(EE)Scree(s) found not to have useable configuration
Fatal Error: No Screens Found

Do you want to view detailed server layout?

Server Layout "Multi Head"
Screen "Screen0"(0)
Monitor "Monitor0"
Device "VideoCard0"
Screen "Screen1"(1)
Monitor "Monitor1"
Device "VideoCard1"
<--Bunch of input device information-->

In the end I have to revert back to my original xorg.conf file to get my
x server to start up properly, only to try another generic or different
setting and have the same thing happen all over.

Has anyone been able to get this to work and if so what did you do to
make it happen?