Re: Question on setup of xorg.conf for laptop

sklein@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
My laptop has a Synaptics touchpad and also has a plug for an external
mouse.  I boot into run level 3.  The touchpad works when I boot.  Once
I've booted and started X, I can plug in the mouse and both it and the
touchpad can control the pointer.  However, if I boot with the mouse
plugged in, X crashes when I try to start it.  How can I boot with the
mouse plugged in and have the mouse and touchpad both work?

I've attached the relevant part of my xorg.conf file below.

Stan Klein

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Synaptics"
    Driver         "synaptics"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option         "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse1"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "PS2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option         "AlwaysCore" "true"
EndSection

What does your ServerLayout section say regarding Mouse0, Synaptics, and Mouse1? When you are able to have both the mouse and touchpad working, I would look at your /dev/input directory and cat /dev/input/mice, then move either the mouse or the touchpad to see what grabs this device. You shouldn't have two devices taking up one /dev file...