Re: Software RAID Using SATA HDDs

Manish Kathuria wrote:

Has anyone implemented Linux based software RAID (mirroring) using SATA Hard Disks ? How is the performance as compared to Parallel ATA HDDs ? What SATA chipsets are NOT supported by FC3-5 Linux so that they can be avoided ?

We did this on CentOS (2.6.9 kernel) and it was not a success. The SATA driver did not report the loss of a drive (cable yank) to anything above, so the software RAID stuff lumbered on without complaint or realization it was degraded. In the end we moved to oldstyle Adaptec 'firmware raid" cards.

Apparently there are improvements in this in later kernels, maybe it is sorted in current Fedora.

-Andy