How do I get my disk powered down gracefully on my desktop during system shutdown

Under FC5 the shutdown process now gracefully powers down my laptop disk
as the last step during shutdown of the laptop.  However, this is not
happening with my desktop, where the disk does not gracefully power down
during shutdown.  How do I get the desktop disk to gracefully power down
as its last shutdown step?

Stan Klein