Re: Fishing License

On Fri, 2006-12-05 at 07:06 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 14:52 -0300, Jacques B. wrote:
> >> It's unreasonable to expect parents to have access to PowerPoint for
> >> school projects.
> >
> > I think it's unreasonable that parents should have to stump with $1000+
> > worth of machinery (a PC), plus proprietary lock-in software, for
>
> Yes indeed, although many families will have one anyway nowadays for
> Internet access.  The lockin bit is true, I grind my teeth knowing my
> taxes moronically go to perpetuate a MSFT monopoly for the next generation.
>
> > It, homework, is pointless anyway.  I work in electronics, I highly
> > technical field.  I've never needed anything I was taught at high school
> > beyond basic maths in the first couple years, and the same applies for
> > most people that I know in a wide variety of jobs.  All those nightly
>
> My wife is a lecturer, they have a term 'autodidact' meaning someone
> that teaches themselves.  I recognized your experience of school as
> being pretty similar to my own, but I don't think our case is the
> majority one.  Other people need a structured logical and progressive
> course to digest information whereas if you can acquire knowledge and
> follow veins of it on your own, everything outside where you wanted to
> go is nothing but a painful holdback.  Each educational era had it fads
> and passing methodologies, and every country has it different, no wonder
> many people disagree with your global assertions :-)
>
> -Andy
At lease you can write in full and intelligible sentences.
I was self taught in Electronics by grade 10, when I started
working as an apprentice in Avionics. I still graduated from
High School with full matriculation, merit awards and
scholarships before attending secondary education to learn
what I missed being self taught, and Graduated with Honours.
Having left home in Grade 10, and put myself through the
rest of my High School and Secondary Education gives me
great pride, but I now wish, I had gone even further, because
now I am at the top of my pay scale, and need more advanced
degrees to move up. It would have been much easier 20 some
years ago. Like my dad used to say : School isn't for evryone,
the world needs garbage men too.