Re: Question about HPLIP, PPD, CUPS, PostScript printer and non-PostScript printer

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 10:18 -0700, Leon Pu wrote:
> --- Laurence Orchard <laurence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 06:53 -0700, Leon Pu wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > could any body explain the relationship between HPLIP, PPD, CUPS,
> > > PostScript printer and non-PostScript printer?
> > HPLIP provides the interface between the program/user who wants to
> > use
> > the printer.
> > PPD describes the attributes of the printer to the system.
> > CUPS in simple terms is the print spooler for all printers in the
> > system.
> > a postscript printer has a built-in postscript interpreter so can
> > accept
> > postscript commands
> > a non-postscript printer is dumb, does not understand postscript and
> > has
> > to have the commands translated for it, usually by ghostscript or
> > something similar.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to let non-PostScript printer print out PostScript
> > file?
> > Yes, ghostscript is used to do the translation
> > >
> > > Is HPLIP developed to let HP printers work in Linux?
> > Exactly right, the HPLIP site on sourceforge has a large list of
> > supported printers. HPLIP also provides an interface for all-in-one
> > devices to allow the use of the scanners as well and it is planned to
> > allow the use of the in-built faxes in the future.
> > >
> > > Should all HP printers which supported by HPLIP work in Linux?
> > Yes, some devices such as Officejets etc use Deskjet interfaces for
> > the
> > printing
> > >
> > > Is PPD used to let non-PostScript printer print out PostScript
> > file?
> > PPD is used to describe the attributes of the various printers.
>
> Hi Laurence,
>
> I still have doubt about PPD. Does PPD only describe the attribute of
> printers? Does it do any work with PostScript?
>
> If I have a non-PostScript printer which supported by HPLIP, how can I
> configure it to print out PostScript? Do I only need to install HPLIP
> or anything else (install PPD, configure CUPS etc.)?
You need to install HPLIP, this will allow the programs to print to the
CUPS print spooler. You then need to setup CUPS to define and configure
the printer, giving it the printer address, the PPD file to use etc.

The installation is set out in the HPLIP pages on sourceforge.