Re: FC5, evolution on 90% CPU

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 12:31 -0400, taharka wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 23:10 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 23:42 +0200, András Horváth wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just upgraded from FC4 to FC5 (and upgraded) and get a strange problem:
> > >
> > > When I start evolution, it begins to eat 85-90% of CPU continuously.
> > > Even if there are no incoming mail to filter or other work to do. The
> > > CPU temperature on my laptop is 76-78 C if evolution is running and
> > > power consumption is very high.
> > >
> > > I did not observe such phenomena in earlier versions.
> > >
> > > What should be the problem?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance,
> > ----
> > turn off mail filtering in Preferences.
> >
> > I have found that to be an issue included failing to kill off some spamd
> > processes even if you quit evolution.
>
> Whoa!! Thanks a billion for that tip. Unchecked junk mail filtering here
> & retrieving new mail is about 100 times faster :-)) Now, I wonder what
> happens to future junk mail?
----
after things have settled down, you can probably turn it back on. It's
likely that something has happened to you user bayes db.

That's why I find it helpful to kill off any spamd processes that seem
to linger after I close evolution. You can try moving your user
spamassassin settings... 'mv $HOME/.spamassassin $HOME/.spamassassin.bak
and then launching evolution again and then turn on junk mail filtering.

In the end, I just shut it off since I do have spamassassin running on
my mail server and though having my own user bayes db seemed to pick up
some more via the training within Evolution, eventually it became a
nightmare.

Craig