Re: cdrecord cannot blank CD RW- - what about formating them.

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 17:29 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 23:02 +0530, nirlep patel wrote:
> >> well my suggestion is you should follow this path:
> >>
> >> I am using Fedora Core 4.
> >>
> >> Application -> Sound & Video -> K3b
> >>
> >> I used with this and I have erased my CD-RW so many times, just go
> >> through this , it's a very easy.
> >>
> >> hope you will solve..
> >>
> > I have to complain here. It would be nice if Linux could format these
> > CD-s , not just erase them.
>
> One does not 'format' a cd/r. The format is established as it is written
> since it is not a discrete track oriented format, but is a single spiral
> track somewhat resembling a phonograph record but inside out.
>
> > Or does someone know how to format a CD-RW?indows
I was going with the flow of the poster and talking about CD-RW.
They can be formatted with Windows software and they are very handy in
this mode for backing up like you would to a hard disk. Why can't
someone create software to do this in Linux?

Lest someone ask why don't you do it, I would if I had a clue how
formatting is done on any medium. Any information out there?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>