Re: [OT] Google Trends - slightly more OT

David-Paul Niner wrote:
On Sunday 14 May 2006 12:31 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 01:18, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
I can't see any downside to Red Hat offering a sub-$100/annual version
of their EL system for home use.   Ditch the support options if
necessary and just provide updates from RHN.

It seems like a lost revenue stream to me.   Is there something very
basic I'm overlooking?
How would this be better than Fedora?
The code is better-tested before initial release (mostly coming
from late in a fedora cycle), then supported with updates
for 7 years.  For servers this is *much* better because the
server software is mostly feature-complete and you don't
want to have to reinstall them all the time.  However,
Centos has pretty much filled this need with their free
rebuild from the source rpms and free update support.

For desktops you probably have to put up with the fast
fedora release cycle because the desktop and application
software is still evolving rapidly.  But it's too bad that
you have to replace working kernel and device driver versions
with new and experimental ones just to get a current version
of evolution, OOo, and firefox.

My desktop machine is partitioned into an FC 5 and a RHEL 4 install. I'm currently trying to get the latest KDE (3.5.2) x86_64 installed correctly via yum 2.4 (the latest version which runs on RHEL w/o upgrading Python) on the RHEL4 installation.

Does anyone know of a working repository for this? I can create a repo file for the kde-redhat repository but if barfs continually on missing dependencies.

Any pointers or success stories would be appreciated.

Is this the repo file you're using?
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/kde-redhat/kde-redhat/redhat/kde-redhat.repo

Paul.