Re: ftp transfer status?

On Sun, 14 May 2006, taharka wrote:

How do,

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 12:49 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006, Devon Harding wrote:

Anyone?

On 5/12/06, Devon Harding <devonharding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Besides hash, is there any way to see the progress of cli ftp transfers?

Use a better ftp client?

You sure bout that? I believe man ftp says the "-v" operator yields
progress of ftp transfers ;-)

It says:

-v     Verbose option forces ftp to show all responses from the  remote
              server, as well as report on data transfer statistics.

I don't know if that means progress bars or post-transfer reports, and I don't have an FTP server handy to play with.

Try lftp, which is part of FC, or ncftp, which is in Extras.  Both are CLI
clients, and both are much more featureful than plain ftp.  "Batch mode"
clients include wget and curl.  gftp is one GUI client.  You can also FTP
with Firefox or Mozilla, and there are interesting ways to transfer files
in the various file managers (Nautilus in GNOME and whatever it is in
KDE) that I haven't really played with much.  All of them will show
progress bars.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences