Re: mplayer problems

Ian Malone wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
A day or so back i hit a web site that needed mplayer, which went thru the motions of downloading the file, but when it tried to play it, stopped immediately, several times.

Today I thought I'd see if yumex could help and told it to install a few more skins and other mplayer accessories.

It starts process the queue, and fails because it can't find mplayer, but if I goto the removal screen, mplayer shows as installed and I can't uninstall it because of all the other dependencies.

rpm says this version is installed:
[root@diablo ~]# rpm -q mplayer
mplayer-1.0pre8-0.6.20060406
but yumex reports this
Missing Dependency: mplayer = 1.0-0.39.20060412.lvn5 is needed by package mplayer-gui
So obviously thats a livna item, but its not shown as being available.

Which magic twanger do I need folks?

At a guess you've installed from incompatible repos, I think the
Livna packages are not, in general, compatible with freshrpms,
atrpms et al (mplayer-1.0pre8-0.6.20060406 sounds like atrpms
or freshrpms).  So either rpm -e mplayer, or use yum's
--disablerepo switch to ignore livna and install mplayer-gui from
the same repo as mplayer.

There are not, nor has there been, any freshrpms or atrpms even listed in the repo lists. The only oddball is crash-hat. I'll try disabling livna though, just for effects. Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene