Re: moving email from fc4 to fc5 in evolution

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 07:40 -0400, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 12:55:38 +0300
> From: Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: moving email from fc4 to fc5 in evolution
> To: tim@xxxxxxxxx, For users of Fedora Core releases
> 	<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 18:18 -0700, Timothy Payne wrote:
> > I tried the import but it's only for other programs.  I'm afraid to just
> > copy data from my fc4 machine to a new fc5 install on another machine
> > and make a big mess.  I have the old data on the new machine in a
> > separate directory.  Any suggestions on how and what data to copy over
> > would be appreciated, I'm not clear on how Evolution stores data.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tim...
> >

> Hello Tim,
>
> At least me in my experience (and YMMV) Evolution has been fully upgrade
> safe.
> I've been using it since 1.4.x on RH9/i386 and slowly upgraded it to 2.6
> running on FC5/x86_64 without as much as a hiccup. (FC2, FC3 and FC4 on
> the way).
>
> I'd suggest you backup the .evolution directory in your home directory
> to a CD/USB disk/etc and upgrade.
>
> Gilboa

I was upgrading from FC3 to FC5.  When I went to import my inbox, with
about 6 months of recent mail, Evolution crashed.  It didn't crash on
other mail files of comparable size, just inbox.  I tried various things
but it crashed repeatedly.  Luckily, I had a machine that I had left at
FC3 until my other upgrades were completed.  I was able to bring up my
email inbox on that machine and break it up into smaller pieces that I
successfully imported.

The crashes occurred in the very first part of the import, while
Evolution was discovering the format of the mail file.

BTW, Evolution did not recognize my FC3 mail data and there was no way
to point to it for multi-file import.  I had to do it as individual
files.

Stan Klein