Re: java in Linux question

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Rickey Moore wrote:

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 12:22 -0400, Dan wrote:

You should really consider pointing people to the JPackage method. See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ#head-09b609578b45f636daa3d3e6ed63b61bc0f2d85d
-Dan

Dan, since I respect your opinions (Lawd, Lawd hep me!) I checked out
the wiki. There are ALOT of mentions of things just not working and I am
not suave enough to cipher it all out. So, it's kinda off-putting. If I
really want a working java environment, with no burps in the barrel,
what do you suggest? I gotta get this working, and why not an rpm that
does stuff the Fedora way that also puts java really running without all
the caveats? Thanx, Ric

Licensing.

You might try the description at http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc5_setup.shtml#java, which updates and simplifies the jpackage instructions a bit. But yes, you need to build your own Java RPMs to get them properly integrated. The ones from Sun are buggy. You can install the Sun stuff without RPM but that won't integrate right either.

You could revert to RHEL4. The Extras disc for that comes with the IBM Java (and another one) all packaged and ready to go. But it's not free.

There was some noise recently about Sun relicensing Java so that it could be redistributed. That way, Jpackage could skip the rpmbuild step.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu