Re: SAS on FC5

On 5/11/06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 08:48 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Yuandan Zhang wrote:
>
> > Hi, Has anyone sucessfully installed SAS 8.1 or SAS 9.1 on FC5? I have
> > difficulty to install SAS 8.1.
>
> > The company support said
> >
> > "I have checked our system requirements for Linux and unfortunately your
> > operating system is not compatible with SAS.
>
> That just about sums it up, doesn't it?
>
> > Software Requirements
> >
> > Operating System
> >
> > Red Hat Linux 7.1
> > Important: Most other distributions of Linux will not work.
> > SAS relies on the following operating system components:
> > ?? Linux kernel 2.4.x
>
> FC5 is a 2.6 kernel.
>
> > ?? GNU libc 2.2.x (with LDT threads)
>
> Standard is now POSIX treads I believe...
>
> > Installations that include different levels of the kernel and libc may
> > be compatible with SAS software,
> > but they have not been tested. "
>
> Anyway, you can try one thing:
>
> First, make sure you that you have all that compatibility packages
> installed.  Next, prior to trying to run SAS do an
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
>
> Good luck.  You're going to need it.  :-)

The LD_ASSUME_KERNEL trick might have worked in FC4, which still had
support for the deprecated Linuxthreads, but they're gone completely in
FC5 and I don't believe this will make any difference.

No, it not work. after export, it gets error -- don't know where to load shared libraries.

I am not sure if this is right. but I get feeling that this SAS on FC5 jam may have something to do with java???