Re: Upgrade from RH Enterprise to FC 5: what problems to expect?

Rob wrote:
Hello,

Main issue is:
What are the essential differences between
RedHat Enterprise (Taroon), and FC 5?

A while ago, a vendor of commercial software
insisted his software ran only when using Redhat
Enterprise Linux. Eversince we are stuck with
RedHat Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 5).

This RH Enterprise version is 'not-so-legal',
and thus we can not upgrade or fix bugs.
Hence, I consider installing Fedora Core 5 instead.

The boss here is suspicious about my plan, because
"the vendor has said to use Enterprise" etc.,
although the vendor never was explicit why.

What kind of traps could I expect to happen when
upgrading Enterprise (Taroon) to Fedora Core 5?

Thanks,
Rob.

Instead of using a distro that leeches all the hard work that Red Hat does, why don't you just pay for the darned software? WS is only $179, for Heaven's sake! See http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/client/ for details.

If your company is in the position that $179 is a problem, you need to run screaming in the other direction.

Going from RHEL 3 to FC 5 will very possibly be problematic. You're going from the 2.4 kernel to the 2.6 kernel, and that is significant. You're going from glibc 2.3.2 to 2.3.4, which isn't huge but may be problematic depending upon your applications. You're going from Apache 1.3 to 2.0. You're going from XFree86 to Xorg, etc, etc, etc.

Additionally, if your company relies on this application, don't you think you need support for the platform upon which it runs? If I'm running my business on an app, I certainly want to have help if there is a problem!

Thomas