Re: fc5: install everything?

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 10:39 -0500, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 09:48, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > Ok, stop me if I ma wrong. install everthing exists. When you
> > right click on a group when doing an X install everything in the
> > group is installed.
> > So I have been told.  I installed in text mode so I did not use
> > that method. Does that method work?
>
> Yes, well, there are about a  dozen or so "install everything"
> check boxes that way.  Boggles the mind, though, why a single check
> box couldn't do exactly the same thing.  Oh well, progress
> apparently has its down side.
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

Actually you can tell yum to install everything with the command "yum -y
--disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=core --enablerepo=updates install \*" as
root. However you will find that in practice this command results in
numerous conflicts. Some programs will not co-exist with others. For
example vsftpd does not like proftpd and bind does not like
cacheing-nameserver.

Don't get me wrong. I was one who begged for the install everything
option to be retained as were many others (certainly more than 10 as
someone maintained in a previous post). Those many others may not have
had the savvy to file "enhancement requests" to bugzilla to make their
case and so resorted to the message boards and mailing lists. Because
normal users have not been initiated into the inner sanctum where the
elite of Fedora development make the decisions their wants and needs for
the most part go unnoticed or unheeded.
--
Stanton Finley
http://stanton-finley.net/