Re: Good Bye FC5

Johnny wrote:

    - Lack of an "install everything" option requires maintaining a
      list of all the stuff that has to be installed after completing
      the initial installation, so that if I want to do another
      install, or an install of FC6 I'll be able do do so quickly.

Hm well

rpm -qa --last | tac

might replace having to 'maintain' a list, it shows everything in ascending install date order. It wasn't so long ago the happy ease of yum install didn't exist... at least an installation action is relatively quick and painless when needed.

    - The xorg radeon driver no longer works with two display heads.
      Resolving this requires installing the evil kernel-tainting
      proprietary ATI driver.

Hum not much idea on it I'm afraid. What I did for a laptop here was cherrypick some xorg packages out of the development branch (the main server and the right driver) and that worked at the time, but I'm not sure I recommend it unless you are ready to --oldpackage back to where you came from.

    - The pwc (Phillips Web Camera) driver loads, but the output of
      the Logitec web camera can't be displayed in either TVtime or
      xawtv.

You can get a later version of pwc here

http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

than is shipped with the kernel. You can compile it without having to recompile the kernel, but take care when updating, as the make install goes to a path that is a directory of the same name on the Fedora kernel. I assume the old version is inherited from the mainline kernel and isn't Fedora's fault.

    - gnome-screensaver is lame (too few hacks, unconfigurable) and
      buggy (locks the screen at inappropriate times).

If you didn't already, try KDE instead of Gnome.

-Andy