Re: Sendmail problem - Question specially for Insight BroadBand users

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 21:36 -0500, Steven Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> I hope that there are some Fedora Core users out there that are using
> Insight Broadband as their Internet provider.
> In my area (Northern Illinois, United States of America) Insight
> BroadBand has recently been upgrading their email system.  I do not use
> their webmail service.  I do not even know my insightbb.com email
> address.  I have chosen to use sendmail on Fedora Core 5 to send and
> receive email.  I do use insightbb as my smart host, as follows:
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.insightbb.com')dnl
>

> This has worked perfectly with Fedora Core 3, as well as Fedora Core 5,
> until Insight's recent upgrades.  I still receive email on my
> afolkey2.net email address perfectly.  The problem is that I can no
> longer send email to anything but an afolkey2.net email address.  Every
> email that I send to a non-afolkey2.net email address IMMEDIATELY gets
> me a delivery notification failure that looks like this:
> Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:28:31 -0500
> From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
> Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)
>
> The original message was received at Tue, 9 May 2006 19:28:31 -0500
> from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

> <elizabethulrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>     (reason: 501 #5.1.1 bad address elizabethulrick@xxxxxxxxxxx)

> ... while talking to mail.insightbb.com.:
> <<< 501 #5.1.1 bad address elizabethulrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

> Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:28:28 -0500
> From: "Steven P. Ulrick" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: elizabethulrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: test
>

> I did successfully send three emails during this period of delivery
> notification failures.  Unfortunately, the only proof I have that the
> one worked is that my wife says that she received it (and have no
> reason to doubt her.)  The header from my sent mail folder is VERY
> minimal:
> Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:50:05 -0500
> From: "Steven P. Ulrick" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Elizabeth A. Ulrick <ulricke@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Proof that Linus DOES work!
>
> In summary, the only thing that has changed with my setup is that my
> Internet provider has done upgrades to their email system.  Also, I
> still receive email addressed to afolkey2.net addresses.  I just can't
> send it.
>
> I have done extensive google searches for both error numbers mentioned
> in the above quoted header.  LOTS of hits, but none seem to have a
> similar situation to my problem.

Have the recent upgrades to their systems included the requirement to
authenticate when sending mail? Have you received any notifications from
them about this?

If you configure your mail client to use their mail server directly
instead of going via your own sendmail, does that work?

Paul.