Re: bash / word seperators

On 08May2006 14:45, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| At 8:50 AM -0700 5/8/06, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
| >Back in 'ye olden days, we used to have a customized version of bash
| >that recognized '/' as a word separator; which was very nice when
| >editing command lines, a CTRL-W would not erase your whole typed path,
| >just back to the slash.
[...]
| Man bash shows "COMP_WORDBREAKS" as the relevent variable to set.  (Don't
| unset it.)  See "man bash", and search for "readline".  So:
|
|     COMP_WORDBREAKS=$COMP_WORDBREAKS/
|
| does it.  To have it every time, put that line in ~/.bashrc.

Seems to have no effect for me. I'm testing with bash-3.0 on Fedora Core
4. Should I expect this to affect ^W? One reason I prefer zsh is that
it will stop ^W at a slash, which I find very useful.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

If ye can say 'tis a brrraugh brrrrrit moonlicht nicht tonicht ye're
alrrright I ken.
        An old Scotts drrrinkin song taught me by my Grandmother
                - Ed Campbell, ed@xxxxxxxxxxx (maybe)