Re: Another Network Manager Stupidity: Swapping eth0 and eth1

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:17:06AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> I have just found what may be another Network Manager (NM)
> stupidity. I have two NICs on my laptop
> (http://www.charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html) running Fedora Core
> 5. One is a wired Ethernet interface, the other a wireless Ethernet
> interface. In system-config-network, I have anchored eth0 and eth1 to
> specific MAC addresses.

In system-config-network, one "binds" IFs to MAC addresses, rather
than anchoring them. Sorry about the terminology slip.

In any case, I have spent enough time trying to swap the two in
system-config-network so that it an NM would be consistent. I have not
done so, and I do have a life outside of being an NM guinea pig.

Workaround: If I need to fall back to the standard tools, I have to
remember to go into the Firestarter GUI and change the external
IF. Also, for Network Monitor 2.12.0, should one be using that Gnome
applet.

The theory is that I should be able to dispense with
system-config-network et al. entirely. Uh huh. Right.

It shouldn't be too hard to modify the firewalling script generator in
Firestarter to determine which of the two IFs is the external
interface, provided that only one is running. However, at the moment,
I don't have time to do it.

Does the theory include the notion that Firestarter can figure out
which IF is the internal and which the external when both are running?