Re: unknown user: root

On 5/9/06, Marian POPESCU <softexpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

I am struggling here with the most weird thing to date (for me).
These are the facts:
I cannot log into my FC5 box.
While booting I get lots of error messages: "unknown user: root";
starting rescue mode from CD and chrooting the old system behaves strangely:
- I start mc and I try to modiy any text file - when i press a key it
will crash instantly.
- whoamy responds "cannot find name for user ID 0"
- passwd responds "Can not identify you!"

My checks:
- I verified the file system - seems OK;
- I compared shadow with shadow- = 7 bytes difference
- I compared groups with groups- = OK
- I compared passwd with passwd- = OK

All this started after rebooting the system ; I was just finished the update
process - installed kernel kernel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5, installed the latest
updates as of 2006-05-09 10:45 AM.

Can someone explain to me what could be wrong with this system?

I would prefer to repair the system instead of completely reinstall it (lots
of settings to remember).

Thank you in advance!

marian