Re: playing cd's on an hp laptop?

David G. Miller wrote:
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've tried an audio cd in the drive a couple of times on this i386 FC5 install on an amd64 hp laptop, a dv5320us, but while the various software cd players and rippers all go thru the motions of playing the tracks, nothing actually gets to the speakers or headphones. Someone mentioned that because these lappy's never come equipt with the audio cable from the drive to the audio circuitry, that I should reconfigure it to use the data from the data bus. Its a nice idea, but I've not found such a configuration option in any of the installed stuff, nor in any of the extras I've since loaded, so how does one go about doing this bit of data steering?
-- Cheers, Gene

Different model (zv6015us) and running FC4 x86_64 but I just played an audio CD on it last night. I insert the CD in the DVD-CD writer/player and "cd player" starts automagically and starts playing the CD. It "just worked" after the FC4 install so no idea why yours doesn't make sounds. I take it that playing say an MP3 or ogg file works? what about viewing a DVD? other sounds?

I think they might, but thats not tested. This system started out fairly noisey, but it hasn't made a peep in quite a while now, even when I was playing with skype headset last night, all of which worked. But going into ekiga's configs I played for quite a while before it finally played the ring-tone.wav, in the headset but not in the speakers. The no-speaker led is on, and I have NDI how to shut that off. All new machinery, and aged operator aren't mixing well I fear. If I can remember, I have an audio cd in the truck I'll bring in tonight and rip with grip, then see if I can play the ripped files & get back with a yay/nay.
Cheers,
Dave

--
Cheers, Gene